This program will be discontinued at the end of the 2016 Summer Term. This page will remain posted for information purposes, only until the start of FA2016.
undergraduate summer fellowship
The maximum grant allowable is $2,000 and may be used to cover travel and research expenses. Applicants are required to apply for and report available funding from other sources (e.g. home department or the Student Governance Association) to the Taft Student Awards Committee.
Applications must be completed by 5 PM on regularly scheduled deadlines; this includes electronic submission through the Taft Research Center website and departmental review. In addition to populating the electronic fields, a single pdf document must be uploaded to the system and should contain the following:
- A detailed statement of purpose explaining importance of the project to their current research or degree work (750 words).
- The role of the proposed project pays in the applicant's degree program;
- The current status and expected outcomes;
- Specific anticipated impacts on one's intellectual development.
- A transcript, vita or other records summarizing the applicant's scholastic career.
- A support letter from the student's advisor, project director, or the undergraduate program director, uploaded to the electronic gateway by the graduate program director at the time of departmental review (which only the UGPD can provide). This letter should comment on the role of the project in the student's degree program, as well as the significance of the project and the student's ability to complete it.
- Detailed Budget and justification.
- Students must state whether they are eligible or will apply for funding from other sources.
You are required to obtain travel authorization prior to travel. The Student Travel Authorization Form (STAF) can be found simply by clicking STAF here, above, or below. The travel policies instituted on 10/1/2012 require travel oversight for students, including pretravel counseling and the maintenance of emergency contact information. Taft is not responsible this counseling or maintenance, or for lack of student compliance with travel policies, which may result in a refusal by UC Accounts Payable to reimburse travel expenses. If you have questions on this matter, you should consult your program director for advice on compliance with these policies.
For detailed instructions on submitting your application, please click Application Instructions.
For instructions on how to create a PDF, please click: How to Create a PDF. Note: the system only allows you to upload a single PDF document.
*NOTE: Award announcements are sent by email, from a central source, listed as web.centralATuc.edu.
Applications for Taft Undergraduate Summer Fellowships are accepted during the second semester. Please consult the application deadline page for this year's deadlines. Eligability is limited to the award cycle prior to the proposed research. Students graduating in the spring term are not eligable unless part of a 4+1 program, in which case they should apply under the Graduate Summer Fellowship program.
Once the applicant has submitted their application, an email notifying the undergraduate program director is automatically generated by the electronic submissions system. The undergraduate program director should then provide intradepartmental review and upload any supporting documents at that time.
You are required to obtain travel authorization prior to any research travel. The Student Travel Authorization Form (STAF) can be found by following the "Forms" link under "Applying to Taft" or simply by clicking STAF here, above, or below. The Taft Faculty Chair or your departmental advisor may provide the signature of authorizing travel.
If awarded a Undergraduate Summer Fellowships, you must contact Teresa Hamrick in order to receive the distribution. Your notice should include the relevant information, e.g. when the project will begin and end. The monies will be distributed to your student account and, provided there is no outstanding balance, you will receive a refund check from the University of Cincinnati.